Video Poker is a popular game that can mostly be found at real-life casinos. However, over the last few years, it’s made its way online, prompting a new surge of popularity. It’s a game that requires no skill and players can take their time since it’s only between the machine and the player.
Sir Reddy designed the very first video poker game in the 1970s which was known as Sircoma until sometime in the 1980s when it earned the name ‘Video Poker’. According to reports, the game was developed for poker players who didn’t want to sit with or compete against other poker players.
The game is simple and easy to play and there are numerous variations of it available. However, it isn’t available at every online casino, so users should look around to check if it’s offered before registering.
How to Play Video Poker
Video Poker online is much easier to play than regularly poker. The game uses a deck of 52 cards which is dealt to players. The goal of Video Poker is to create a combination of different hands. They include:
- Royal Flush: A 10, Jack, Queen, King and Ace all in the same suit
- Pair: Two cards of the same value but in different suits
- Straight Flush: Five consecutive cards in the same suit
- Four of a Kind: Four cards with the same numerical value but different suits
- Full House: Three cards with the same numerical value and a pair of cards with the same numerical value
- Flush: Five cards of the same suit but in numerical order
- Straight: Five consecutive cards but in different suits
- Three of a Kind: Three cards with same numerical values
- Two Pairs: Two sets of cards with the same numerical value
The value of cards are the same as any other poker games. A Royal Flush is the highest hand that can be attained while a pair is the lowest.
Playing Video Poker Online
To start, users must select the Video Poker game they want to play, bet their coins and then click the ‘Deal’ button. Five cards will be dealt to you face-up and players can then select which to ‘Hold’ and which ones to discard.
The discarded cards will be replaced by new ones and the player’s score will be calculated based on any hands they managed to create.
Video Poker Variations
There are several variations of Video Poker games including Bonus Poker, Double Bonus Poker, Double Double Bonus Poker and the exciting Jacks or Better.
In fact, Jacks or Better is ideal for new players because all players need to do to win is get a Pair of Jacks in their hand or better. There’s also Aces and Faces, which is similar to Jacks or Better, and Deuces Wild which all the two-cards turn into Wild cards and prizes are awarded out for specific hands.